ACIB – the Austrian Centre of Industrial Biotechnology – is one of the leading research centres in the field of industrial biotechnology. ACIB is dedicated to joint research at the industrial-academic interface. Seven Austrian Universities and more than 50 leading industry partners are working together within the ACIB research program.
Starting March or April 2017, ACIB, within the Working Group Borth at DBT BOKU, offers a
PhD or Post Doc position in
Creation of a Data Warehouse and CHO systems biology solutions
Chinese hamster ovary (CHO) cells are the most important cell lines in recombinant protein production of therapeutic proteins. In the last years, a lot of data was generated describing and analysing these cells at all levels, from genome sequence to transcriptome, miRNome, proteome and metabolome. These data are spread over different databases and websites.
To connect these different sources, a CHOmine was generated, based on Intermine, which links all genes to available other databases such as SwissProt, UniProt, GO and KEGG. A recently published community curated genome scale metabolic model is already fully integrated. This CHOmine shall be expanded to include additional data types, such as visualization of published transcriptomes and proteomes and include tools for standard analyses for systems biology of these important cell factories. The project requires high level programming skills and creativity in designing workarounds to integrate diverse data types.
The project is integrated in a large and highly interactive (20+) working group that investigates systems biology of CHO cells including genome, epigenome, transcriptome and metabolic modeling analyses.
• Creation of data ware house and integration of diverse datatypes
• Development of new analyses and visualisation tools
• Support of systems biology analyses in the workgroup
• Master's or doctoral degree in bioinformatics or similar experiences in informatics with biological background.
• Knowledge in Java and databases are essential
• Experiences in tomcat or PostgreSQL are benefits
• Strong skills in written and spoken English are expected
• The applicant is expected to be part of a growing team, with the required social skills for teambuilding
• At the same time, able to organize him/herself and work independently.
Application deadline: 30th April 2017
Please send your application in pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the reference number 08_2017 in the subject of the email.
ACIB is dedicated to a well balanced gender ratio. Therefore, this job advertisement addresses qualified male and female persons equally. ACIB is not part of any collective agreement under Austrian law. It is intended to offer a minimum yearly gross payment of EUR 28.681,94.for the PhD position advertised. Payment is depending on qualification and professional experiences.